Surya Spa Dahl
Makes one serving
- 4 cup of Organic Dhal
- 1 & 1/2 cups of Water
- 1/8 cup of chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 1 tsp of Surya Dhal Spices
- 1tbsp of Unsalted Ghee
- Salt to taste
Dhal (split yellow mung bean) is easy to make, easy to digest, and nutritious. You can have it done quickly, or let it cook for hours, as we do, by leaving the burner on very low and covering the pot.
- Wash the dhal thoroughly (even scrubbing quickly with your hands).
- Stir the dhal and water together in a pot and bring to a boil. (ratio 1 to 6, a little less water if you like it thicker).
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Scoop the foam off the top with a spoon as it rises (or whenever you like). Stir, occasionally.
- Put the heat on very low, and leave it there for as long as you like, making sure there is enough water so it won’t dry out.
Spicing the Dhal:
Surya can provide you with vata-pacifying (or calming) spice mix, or you can make a version yourselves from the following:
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp fennel powder
*If you’re doing home prep: put the spices and some fresh cilantro right into the mung beans.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan
- Add the spices and let it sauté for moment
- Add the chopped cilantro to the cooked spices, let that sauté.
- Then add the whole mixture to the dhal, putting a little water in the pan to get everything out if need be.
Dhal is delicious with basmati rice and sautéed vegetables! Enjoy!